(1) Before you read the morning paper or your favorite book, take time to read the daily Bible readings prescribed by the Church.
(2) When you have some time on your hands, praying the Jesus Prayer is a good alternative to being bored. This is a very simple, yet powerful, prayer. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." You can also turn this into a prayer for others; especially if you don't know how to pray for them. Just say "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on (name of person you want to pray for)."
(3) Watch what you say. Do your best not to lose your temper, and try to avoid saying things that could be hurtful to those around you. Talk to others a little less; talk to God a little more.
(4) Pray for yourself, but also pray for other people. See what is on a friend or neighbor's heart--what they need or what might be troubling them--and pray for that intention. Also take time to thank God in prayer for the many blessings He has bestowed upon you. It might help to write down some of the things you wish to thank God for doing in your life, then include the list in your prayers.
(5) Watch one less tv program each day. Use the extra time to pray, read the Bible, or show compassion to a neighbor.